In this Podcast we discuss Selling Unpackaged Products On Amazon – Preparing, Packing and Shipping Loose – Unpackaged Products (like Wilton Cake Pans) – How to buy, prepare, label and ship to Amazon FBA.
1 – What’s up with us this week
We were on the “Ask Janelle!” Radio Show with Janelle Elms on Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013 talking about “Thrifting For Profit”. You can listen to the interview HERE.
- 2 small flea markets on Saturday – crafty finds
- 4 thrift stores on Monday – lots of new items, some used & more crafty finds
- Was happy to find a Conair Compact Hot Machine Dispenser until I remembered you can’t sell “used” items in Health and Beauty! http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Compact-Hot-Machine-Dispenser/dp/B000Q98I2M
- Long-term storage fee hit. (article: Long-Term Storage Fees and How To Avoid Them)
- Researched potential items to source wholesale.
- Largest pay-out ever – but many sales were on items I was “dumping” as I’m “cleaning up the crumbs” (podcast: How, When, Why to Reprice, Dump or Remove Inventory)
- Feeling much better and back in the game.
- Went through inventory at home that was “tucked away” – 1/2 of it has been processed & shipped out. (inspired by the 2/17 episode of the Ask DanniApp Show)
- Sales steady, then nothing, jiggled prices, moved on to other work.
2 – Questions & Flips
- The Miracle of the Bells [VHS] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/6303258190 Paid $.50 sold for $28.96.
- Qi Gong for Seniors DVD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZFN3O2 paid $.50 sold for $59.99 within one month.
- Visions of Puerto Rico VHS http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VKSUR6 Paid $4 sold for $32.97 within two months. This is one of those items that I sourced on eBay. (podcast: Scouting on eBay and Amazon for FBA Inventory)
- Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems Textbook I had in stock over 6 months… wouldn’t play the “game” of lowering price with this one. I jiggled the price a bit and it sold. Paid $6 Sold $42.99 Used Good
- Nunsense 1 & 2 [VHS] Paid .75 Sold “magic $25 New – 1 week
- Battleships of World War Two: An International Encyclopedia [Hardcover] Paid $3 Sold $49.99 – UVG 5 months
- Got this book for 50 cents at a garage sale last summer. In pending for $79.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385425201
- I bought a Brother Drum Unit for $2.00 and sold for $79.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KI6P4
- Picked this up for $3 at GW and sold for $72.49 when it got into the warehouse on Monday. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YGZJ6C
- Thanks to you I sold my first Wilton cake pan for Magic $25!
Great tip from Charlene: “Remember my rule: if you’ve read it or seen it or heard of it, worth nothing. Never heard of it…worth something.”
Want to hear about MORE GREAT FLIPS? We share flips often in our free Thrifting for Profit Facebook Group. Come join in the fun!
(note: this is a free group. To sign up just click here, then click on the “join” button and we’ll add you to the group ASAP.)
3 – Main Topic
Selling Unpackaged Products On Amazon – Preparing, Packing and Shipping Loose – Unpackaged Products (like Wilton Cake Pans) – How to buy, prepare, label and ship to Amazon FBA.
This podcast was done to help you – however, please look to Amazon for definitive guidelines on how to package your products. For detailed instructions on how to EASILY find Amazon’s Policies & Guidelines, please read this article HERE.
- We talked about prepping:
- small products (need to be the size of a credit card)
- plush and fabric – anything soft or made of fabric
- fragile products
- packaging “odd ball” items like coffee mugs
- Wilton Cake Pans
4 – Other Topics We Discussed & Questions From the Chat Room
Questions about today’s main topic:
- Where do you get those large bags from for plush or cake pans?
- You can use ziplock bags, some people use clear trash bags.
- You could also purchase an impulse sealer – more info about that HERE.
- Would I need to seal fabric panels in clear plastic or zip lock bags?
- Yes – otherwise it would get dirty in the warehouse
- Does Amazon remove the “not ship ready” label before sending the item to the customer?
- Are there certain types of Wilton pans that you look for? Are there better sellers than others? – Answered “on air”.
- Is there any way to get this like in a list somewhere (packaging requirements) and post it on the wall when packing the items?
- Go to the “Packaging Items for Amazon FBA Sellers” and there are links to a few very good PDFs to download and keep handy.
Advice from the chat room:
- “Assume your things will be manhandled along the way and ask yourself ‘how would I like to receive this?’ ” – Charlene
- “I sell little packs of needles…1″ x 2″. I put them in a plastic zip lock bag 2″ x 3″ – they are in a little cardboard packet” – Charlene
- ” use foam board pieces in very small bagged pkging; weighs nothing, but keeps them flat/stiff” – Gramma Sings
- “I mark it “multiple items inside please scan individually”” – Charlene
- “I sell a line of dog toys. I impulse sealed into plastic bags” – Charlene
- “all you have to do is look at an item you have returned to see how much wear and tear things get” – Charlene
- I’m from UK & moving to Argentina within a year, do you think this would be a great business to do there?
- Charlene responded – don’t know about viability from Argentina. Costs to get items here to US may be prohibitive unless you do container loads
Other topics we discussed:
- Sourcing Wholesale
- something we are just starting to do with the proceeds from our thrifty sales.
- Charlene Anderson is very successful at sourcing wholesale products for Amazon and eBay. We were both very inspired by the interview she did on FBA Radio that you can listen to HERE.
- We’ve also been learning a lot from Lisa Suttora.
Do you want to learn more about Wholesale Sourcing? We did an AWESOME interview with Charlene Anderson that you can find here – Wholesale Sourcing with Charlene Anderson – Part 1
- Amazon News
- You can now view your inventory balance available to support orders on Amazon.com in near real-time.
- Baby product limitations
- discussion about it in our Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/thriftingforprofit/permalink/474467832601890
- Link to types of products affected: http://www.cpsc.gov/Regulations-Laws–Standards/CPSIA/Durable-Infant-or-Toddler-Products/
Comments From Our Listeners About Today’s Podcast:
- “Great call – too short of time.” – Guest
- “Thanks – as always a great show” – Beth
- “Thanks for the very helpful info.” – Jenny
- “Can’t wait for the next podcast! You ladies are awesome!!” – Guest
- “You are always so much fun!” – Charlene
- “Great show ladies!” – Danni
Do you have a question about Amazon FBA, Thrifting or any of the topics discussed in this podcast?
- Ask your question on our Free Facebook Group (once there, click the “Join” button) or leave us a comment below this post. We will get back to you ASAP!
Other Links & Resources:
- Our FREE Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/thriftingforprofit/ – click on the “Join” button and we’ll add you to the group ASAP!
- Freebies & Guides from Debra & Beth to help you with your Amazon FBA business! http://thriftingforprofit.com/freebies-guides/
- Our Recommended Resources can be found here: http://thriftingforprofit.com/recommended-resources/
Listen live to the show Fridays, 2pm ET at http://thriftingforprofit.com/listen
You can find our archived podcasts here: http://thriftingforprofit.com/podcast