1 – What’s up with us this week
- Paid Arizona Sales Tax for the Year.
- Started signing up to pay CA sales tax but had a “glitch”.
- Last weeks show was all about Sales Tax Collecting and Amazon.
- Keeping up with entering info into Karen Locker’s “Amazon Profits Spreadsheet”
- Added a few columns including “how long it took to sell (months column).
- Thrifted on Tuesday – picked over but still found stuff. Smaller hauls.
- Still processing – almost done!
- Started entering info into Karen Locker’s “Amazon Profits Spreadsheet”
- Went to favorite tiny thrift store and found NOTHING.
- Hit 4 thrift stores and a library and found lots of great items including used CDs.
- Will be busy with family stuff next week so I have a goal to get everything processed by Monday.
- Had first split shipment in a while.
2 – Questions & Flips
- These are games I’ve had for about 5 months. Thought I could sell for more but finally had to drop to the “magic $25 and it sold in a day:
- Yahtzee Deluxe Edition (paid $4 CVG) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000DMB
- Harold and the Purple Crayon Game (paid $3 CVG) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005J34S
- I sold this game last year for $25. I found another one late in the year and listed it and it didn’t sell until I lowered to $14.99. Same condition CVG. National Geographic Global Pursuit Family Game http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OSUS82
- Intro to Health Care Economics (textbook) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0781740193 Just sent this in during November. Paid $0.50 / Sold for $61.99 U-G
- Further proof that Christmas stuff sells all year….Wilton Santa Checking List Cake Pan http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00085F9UI Sat in warehouse for a year (storage = $0.11 per month = $.32). Paid $3 / Sold for $25 U-G
- Pictionary http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI6VBO took 8 months to sell. Paid $1 / Sold for $25 C-VG
- Paid a quarter sold in 1 week for the magic $25, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1891487175
- Sold 2 Christmas Tree Wilton Cake pans this week. One I sent in this month. The other in Nov. Gave $5 sold for $25 & $29.
- I had a used, like new Pumpkin decorating kit that I sold for $14.00 – they were available new at Walmart for $3.00. Sold it after Thanksgiving.
Want to hear about MORE GREAT FLIPS? We share flips often in our free Thrifting for Profit Facebook Group. Come join in the fun!
(note: this is a free group. To sign up just click here, then click on the “join” button and we’ll add you to the group ASAP.)
3 – Main Topic – Scouting on Ebay and Amazon – “Online Thrifting”
Our “Online Thrifting” is inspired by Jordan Malik’s BLESHA – Buy Low on Ebay Sell High on Amazon you can read our review of this book HERE. We learned how he does it and then put our own “thrifty” spin on it!
Beth’s “Online Thrifting”:
- Through “Online Thrifting” Beth has sourced: books, DVDs, VHS, CDs, Cassettes.
- Goal is to pay close to thrift store prices for items when possible.
- “re-order” items that I have already sold
- example – “Brother Future” DVD that is mentioned in our free Smart Scouting for Cash Strapped Amazon Sellers eBook.
- buying “lots” (groups of items) on eBay
- Make sure to thoroughly “check-out” the items BEFORE bidding.
- Expect that around 20% of what is in the lot will be unsellable.
- Sourcing from
- Set up “alerts” for items you are looking for
- set up alerts on eBay and Half.com
- create wish lists on Amazon
- Use “sniping” tools on eBay
- Beth aims to sell items at $25 or more…. why?
- Why FBA items sell for more – $25 price point http://thriftingforprofit.com/why-fba-items-sell-for-more-money/
Debra’s “Online Thrifting”
- Use the “Invisible Hand” plug-in to help find deals http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/
- When sourcing on Amazon the cheapest you are going to pay is around $4. ($0.01 + shipping for Merchant Fulfilled sellers).
- Buying bulk lots from eBay are easier to process than several one-of individual packages from Amazon.
- Amazon sellers usually include packing slips. Ebay sellers often do not – can make tracking things difficult.
About replacing CD & Cassette cases
- Replacement CD cases are easy to find (eBay, Amazon)
- Replacement Cassette cases are hard to find.
- Debra didn’t want to buy a large quantity of replacement cases, so…she bought cassettes at GW on 1/2 price day for .25 and they worked out perfectly.
About packaging CDs, Cassettes and VHS
- Debra uses an impulse sealer.
- Beth uses CD/DVD bags like these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ROCB6I/ (Note: you could get the DVD ones and use them for CDs too.)
4 – Other Topics We Discussed & Questions From the Chat Room:
- So I should check amazon for wilton pan prices instead of ebay? (answered on air)
- Discussions on our free Facebook Group about cake pans:
- (note: this is a free group. To sign up just click here, then click on the “join” button and we’ll add you to the group ASAP.)
- Discussion about packaging cake pans: http://www.facebook.com/groups/thriftingforprofit/permalink/445839952131345/
- Should I sell my cake pans on Amazon? http://www.facebook.com/groups/thriftingforprofit/permalink/448215155227158/
- Discussions on our free Facebook Group about cake pans:
- Good advice from Charlene…”Every time we go to thrift store we have a rule we have to take a bag of stuff to donate. Keeps clutter down”
- And from Steven… donate to “…the stores which give you a percentage off coupon for your next purchase and Ask for a donation receipt for your 2013 Taxes”
- Do you guys use any tools which will search for “misspelled” item title on eBay or AZ or other sites?
- www.FatFingers.com was recommended by a listener.
Comments from our Listeners about this podcast…
“Another great show. Thanks Ladies”
“Thanks again Ladies”
“Great stuff you guys!”
“Thank you VERY much. I am learning a lot.”
“Great show as usual Ladies”
“Enjoyed it very much … Thanks”
Do you have a question about Amazon FBA, Thrifting or any of the topics discussed in this podcast?
- Ask your question on our Free Facebook Group (once there, click the “Join” button) or leave us a comment below this post. We will get back to you ASAP!
Other Links & Resources:
- Our FREE Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/thriftingforprofit/ – click on the “Join” button and we’ll add you to the group ASAP!
- Freebies & Guides from Debra & Beth to help you with your Amazon FBA business! http://thriftingforprofit.com/freebies-guides/
- Our Recommended Resources can be found here: http://thriftingforprofit.com/recommended-resources/
Listen live to the show Fridays, 2pm ET at http://thriftingforprofit.com/listen
You can find our archived podcasts here: http://thriftingforprofit.com/podcast